Yes, it’s that time of year again and for anyone whose loved up, it’s time to show it. Whether your dating, in a relationship, married or just trying to impress, today is the day when millions of you will spend a bomb showing your significant other how much you love them. But how many of us know why exactly we celebrate this day?
The day is named after a priest, St Valentine, from the third century AD. During the ruling of Emperor Claudius II, all marriages had been banned as the Emperor believed married men made bad soldiers. St Valentine thought this was unfair, so he arranged marriages in secret. Emperor Claudius found out and St Valentine was thrown in jail and sentenced to death. There, he fell in love with the jailer’s daughter. He was taken to be killed on 14 February and he sent his love, a love letter signed “from your Valentine”.
Hmmmm…. I was expecting a story with a happy ending, not another tragic love affair. But so the story goes and so the world continues to celebrate this ‘love-tastic’ day.
So how do you spend Valentine’s day?
Myself… well it’s just a normal day. Being happily married as long as I have been, these traditions start to wither away. I remember it was a big deal whilst we were dating and if any how he forgot, all hell would break loose. Even if I told him not to bother, I didn’t want anything, he should know what a girl says and what a girls wants is completely different! So for all you guys reading this, please be pre-warned, get her something!
Nowadays, like I said – and this time I do mean it, I don’t want the fuss. I know he loves me and he knows I love him so we don’t need one day to prove it to each other, that should be proved every day. But saying that, I do like to see all the loved up couples trying really hard to make an effort. I also remember how difficult my husband would find it to buy me a gift I would appreciate.
So what are the top rated Valentine’s day gifts to give a woman? And how do woman perceive them? Listen carefully guys…
- Flowers – Now to me, if I was given flowers, I would think – this guy doesn’t know me , couldn’t me bothered to get to know me, so brought me flowers as it’s the easiest option. Lazy and not a keeper!
- Chocolate – Personally, a guys buys me chocolate and I’m over the moon! But it’s not as simple as that, does he know your favourite chocolate or has he gone out and brought a mixed selection box? Does he at least know if you prefer milk, white or dark chocolate?
- Wine – Do you even like wine? Or are you like me and fancy something a little stronger? Is it even the right colour? … Is he trying to get you drunk???
- Jewellery – Most of us woman do love jewellery. And we love receiving it as gifts even more. But again it’s not that simple. Does he know your taste, has he noticed the type of jewellery you already wear? Or has he brought you something completely random that you wouldn’t be seen dead in!? Or is he trying to tone down your taste??? Be very careful guys…
- A cuddly toy – Seriously, how old am I? And how much effort could he honestly have put in to this gift? He probably went into the card shop and just grabbed the nearest toy on the counter, the promotional deal. Unless, of course, it’s your hobby and you collect stuffed toys, for which case – did he get the right one?
So as you can see, it’s not as easy as it may seem. We women really do give our men a hard time and we judge every tiny little detail.
Well what is the ideal gift choice, you may be wondering?
For me, it’s anything personal. Something a guy has put some effort into. Like I mentioned earlier, we women love jewellery, maybe try to personalise it or get the latest in the collection she wears. Her favourite perfume, a girl can never have enough perfume. And if you’ve managed to work out what her favourite is, she knows your trying. Maybe take some inspiration from St Valentine himself, write her a love letter, a poem, a song, might sound really corny but she’ll be putty in your hands.
But more than the gifts this Valentine’s day, what a girl wants is to be made to feel special. Spend some quality time with her, make it all about her. Take her to her favourite restaurant, watch her favourite movie, dance to her favourite songs.
Show her that you know her, that’s all a woman wants – to be understood by her man.
GOOD LUCK! Let me know how your Valentine’s day goes.