People keep telling me

People keep telling me to get over you

To move on, to get away

They don’t understand my struggles

That I barely get through the day.

People keep telling me to forget you

It’s time for a new start

They say I shouldn’t live on memories

But I can’t seem to convince my heart.

People keep telling me it’s been too long

They think I’m wasting my life

I’m still patching up the wounds you left

I need help and support, not more strife.

People keep telling me it’s over

They think I should let you go

It’s not easy to forget all we’ve been through

You really did love me, I know.

People keep telling me I’m not listening

They should appreciate I need time to grieve

It wasn’t your fault your life got taken

You would never have chosen to leave.

People keep telling me it gets easier

So why keep pushing me like I’m in a race

I know I’ll start living again one day

But I’ll do it at my own pace…

Mysterious woman covered in shadow with an unsmiling mouth

Photo by Zach Guinta on Unsplash

© 2018 Poem by Baffledmum (Suki Matharu)

39 thoughts on “People keep telling me

1. rita says:

Nice !And yes everyone has their own pace ..its not easy .And personally I try to stay away from people who give constant reminders . I prefer solitude and meditation to sort out my mind .

2. Mag Reilly says:

I feel that way about a friend who was such a joy to be around, then he died all of sudden (no one to this day told me what had happened) and I had a chance to see him a year before he died, and it haunts me a lot, his passing, knowing I will never see him again. I think deep down it’s okay to know you’ll never get over it, we can grow as people, that is inevitable, and part of who we are is our past. Our experiences with other humans on this Earth. We cannot forget that. I think nostalgia is an amazing zone to be in, in the mind. I think it’s good to take time to reflect. As I get older, I only learned how to also appreciate the present, which is often hard. I think there is something beautiful about nostalgia. We are all nostalgic for something, someone, some time that once was…and I love that you put that in a poem. Beautiful.

3. philipbrockman says:

Wonderfully written. When Karen passed in ’09, I cried for almost two years, because it wasn’t what either of us would have chosen. Yet during the second year, everyone told me to move on with my life. I don’t think any of them knew that to me, my life was over.
    You have a lot of followers, so you must write well. I’m looking forward to enjoying them as I have this one. Thank you for expressing those years for me, so truthfully.
    Love and Peace.

• Baffledmum says:

I’m so glad my poem resembled true emotions. I haven’t experienced this kind of loss myself so it was very hard to write. I know all people are different and have different needs at such times, I feel others should respect their choices.

4. shoniessky says:

nice poem, very relatable and very real. It’s a part of life and growth. pain helps us learn. although it hurts like hell to go through.. truly heart felt and beautiful

5. PATRICK STORIES says:

Your beautiful words just made my day. Thank you so much for adding such magical drop of words in my jar of motivation.I feel blessed by your writing right now.
    I found delight love in what you just said in your post.
    Again such a beautiful write up on your blog.
    Keep the vibes on.

#PATRICKSTORIES
    Peace ✌and Love ❤

6. gullywriters says:

Moving on is a process. It’s funny how people keep pushing on other people’s for it. But it shouldn’t be rushed. It should be given its time. Coz no new building can be constructed on old foundations.