Overworked husband

Tom decides to see a councillor after feeling life has become to stressful for him to cope with. He works so hard all week and believes others around him are not pulling their weight.

How is it fair that some people can have such an easy life, he wonders?

On the first meeting the councillor wants an insight into his life.

Councillor: So what do you do for a living?

Tom: I work as an accountant.

Councillor: And your married, I noticed the ring… What does your wife do?

Tom: Oh she doesn’t work. She’s just a housewife. Maybe that’s why I’m so stressed? I’m the sole provider for the family?

Councillor: So you make your own breakfast?

Tom: No my wife does that because she doesn’t work.

Councillor: Do you wake first in the house?

Tom: No, my wife does. Because she doesn’t work, she gets up early to make breakfast and lunches for me and the kids. I’m too tired to deal with that as well!

Councillor: Do you drop the kids to school on your way to work?

Tom: No, my wife drops them as she doesn’t work; so doesn’t have anywhere to rush off to.

Councillor: So what does she do all day?

Tom: After dropping the kids, she does the shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning, that sort of stuff. Anything she can find to keep herself busy.

Councillor: What about you? What do you do in the evening after work?

Tom: I get home and rest while my wife makes my dinner, I’m always so tired after work. And I have to listen to my wife telling me how tired she is! She doesn’t work, she doesn’t understand what tired is!

Councillor: Does your wife rest with you after dinner?

Tom: No! She washes and cleans up then helps the kids with homework then gets the kids showered and then puts them to bed…! She’s free all day because she doesn’t have to work but somehow she’s the one whose always first to fall asleep. I don’t feel appreciated at all! I do everything for her but I feel like she doesn’t love me!

The councillor is writing something on his notepad…

Tom: So Doc? Can you help me, I don’t think I can go on like this?

Councillor: No! But I’m recommending your wife for woman of the year for putting up with you and … referring you to a psychiatrist for believing you’re the sole provider in your household!

adult dark depressed face

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

Everybody has a role to play in this world… Everybody has different priorities… Every job is a job because there is a need for it!

No person has the right to feel more superior than another!

A housewife and a parent is a 24 hour job with no set rest periods, no sickness, no holidays. People do this job for the love of their family, they do not get paid in money but should be paid back with lots of love and appreciation…

I hope you all appreciate those around you, even for the little things they do to make your life better.

39 thoughts on “Overworked husband

1. Andrew says:

Men who think this way are sorely mistaken. I go to work every day, and deal with a hellish commute and that still does not compare to her day as a stay at home mom. I get to go to the bathroom whenever I’d like to, I can space out to think, I get to productively interact with adults, I can get myself coffee or a snack whenever I’d like and most of all I’m not draped in kids and fluids all day. My wife’s life and job is 24/7 and far more difficult than mine and I am happy I have the sense to see that.

• Andrew says:

Neither would she, but I think she’s tired of people thinking that it’s easier because she’s in the comfort of her home all day and also that she’s given up her career for this. She does it because she loves it’s and thinks it’s best and after that everything else comes second in her life because the kids are always first.

2. Fariha says:

A wonderful reminder….never belittle other’s efforts. Everybody has a role to play- duties there with. Instead of being judgemental try to appreciate and value their all day hard effort which sometime feels as nothing at all…That’s really wrong.

3. Ben Aqiba says:

Hi Suki,

you said it well that everyone has a purpose in life.We must notice small things carried out by a woman at home, which are very difficult but they are not paid with money.The best reward is hug and smile. No matter how tired we are. Great post

4. MissteriosoDas says:

That’s so true. I hope people start appreciating what the home-makers do that too for free. You give the kitchen to men for one day and they are sure to mess it up. But I am sure if you give some office work to home-makers they would find a way to even perfect that. 🙂

5. LifeAmazing says:

This is a good one. As a SAHM who has a part time job working from home also people assume I “don’t do anything”. I’ve had lots of comments over the years, some of them are quite snidey about me staying home with my children.

I quite like my life of “not doing anything”, I don’t complain at my lot, but rest assured my other half is very aware that he isn’t the sole provider.

6. deviousfrog says:

My wife is a stay at home wife. Never for a second do I question how valuable she is. Keeping everything clean and tidy. I never have to make my own coffee in the morning, or wash my clothes,, they are always ready for me. Just for starters.

I’m lucky to have a wife willing to do these things for me.

7. Rageshree says:

A very important message in this post! I think home makers can somehow exist without working people but if working people don’t have adequate moral support at home they’re likely to be unhappy and unhealthy all the time…. Love💜

8. Blended Hope says:

When I was a new, first time mother I could have easily sent this to my husband! He thought I just sat around all day and went to Target and shopped!
    Hahahahaha!!!
    Staying at home is the hardest job ever but ohhh so fun!