Career path

At the moment my son is trying to work out what which career path to follow. I told him its early days yet and he just needs to concentrate on subjects he enjoys. I also told him that he would probably change his mind a million times like I had…

Son: So what did you want to be when you were my age?

Me: I wanted to be a vet.

Son: And what did it change to?

Me: Oh lots of things. I wanted to be a teacher, a designer and even a popstar at one point!

Son: So what did you finally want to be when you were older?

Me: Well I was training to be a nurse when I became pregnant with you.

Son: So why aren’t you a nurse then?

Me: Because then I had you and I found something I wanted to be even more… A mum!

Now I thought that was a really sweet thing to say and it is the truth from my heart. But he doesn’t understand why being a mum is so important to me, however I don’t think I would have understood it at his age either.

After that, the conversation took a drastic change of direction from him…

Son: Is it actually because childcare is really expensive or because you can’t afford to go to university?ย

Me: No! I’m actually happy with my MUM JOB! And if I still want to be a nurse when you lot are older, I can start studying again.

Son: Yeah right! You’ll be too old by then, you’ll be ANCIENT!!!

animal cute fur africa
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

I don’t need to tell you that I wasn’t at all impressed! I had to stop my inner lioness from erupting, I am a Leo after all! But like any parent of a teenager knows, there’s no point arguing because as far as they are concerned – they know it all! So I let that comment slide…

Hopefully one day my son will be a parent then I’ll remind him of this conversation and hopefully he will get it!

1. umrah sania says:

No one can take place of a mother ๐Ÿ˜Š

True! No matter how stressful it gets, we carry on ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

1. umrah sania says:

I think that’s the reason mothers are great

2. Claudette says:

It’s so tricky, isn’t it. I have conversations with my 13yo about careers too but he immediately attaches monetary value to everything. The fact that he wants a high paying job is fine and dandy, but first he needs skills and experience. When we suggest exploring clubs, volunteering, sticking out the low paying paper route, he’s ‘tired’ and ‘bored’.

Sigh. ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‰

I know exactly what you mean! I suppose they’ll find out in their own time… We’ll just be the supportive parents we are โ˜บ๏ธ

3. Ha ha you should remind him of that then

I definitely will! ๐Ÿ˜†

4. Iโ€™m a Leo, yes canโ€™t let the lion(ese) out. Our son is a couple of years away from the teenage stage – canโ€™t wait. I think you held in an awful lot longer than I would have with the conversation. A person I know has a teenage boy. When he was 10 he was the sweetest quietest thing going, now heโ€™s a nightmare, parents pulling their hair out.

But we love them still & we grin & bare these conversations so we donโ€™t go insane ๐Ÿคช

5. I believe the toughest job and this is from one Leo to another and a mum is yes being a mum. .. oh teenagers ๐Ÿ˜‚

1. Oh okay lol , I didnโ€™t know if I offended you . Never would I want to do that .. yes agree stressful.

No definitely not offended. ๐Ÿ˜‰ x

3. Okay thatโ€™s good . I not good at knowing what some of the emojis mean… lol

No problem! I use emojis more than I use words! X

6. Todd says:

I also took several years off to be an at-home parent and it was the best decision of my life. Kudos to anyone who does this.

As for studying after your son is grown, his comment was funny but also a reminder to me of what my own mind was like at that age. 20 year olds seemed completely grown up, 30 was old, and by 40 you were ancient. After that you’d best be shopping for a retirement home. Of course now at 48, I can see how ridiculous that was. Some day he will remember his comment when he is your age and laugh at how silly he was being.

I do hope so… I think my thinking of age was the same as well, however now that I’m turning 40 this year; I don’t want to be ancient ๐Ÿ˜‚. Lol! It’s funny how young minds view the world… โ˜บ๏ธ

7. Anonymous says:

Children are funny ๐Ÿ˜‚

They are! Thank you for reading