It’s amazing the amount of excuses I receive when I ask my kids to do the simplest tasks.
Let’s take for instance when I ask them to tidy their room. My older 2 boys who are 15 and 13 year olds share a room so their excuses go like this:
- I’m doing my homework (whilst they’re really playing games on their laptop).
- (brother) is doing his homework so I don’t want to disturb him (yeah right, when has that ever stopped you annoying him).
- I’m going to do it when I go up to bed (by that time they’ll have forgotten).
- It is tidy (are they blind!)
- I’ve tidied my side of the room (they share the whole room and have a bunk bed so I don’t even understand that excuse).
- I had P.E today so my body is aching (wait till you get to my age then you’ll understand what aching feels like!)
- I’ll do it in a minute (hour later and still no movement).
Or the best played out excuse is when they actually go to clean their room and end up having a brotherly squabble! Which results in them trying to head-lock each other and leads to me shouting up the stairs at them so the room cleaning is halted to keep the peace. Sometimes I feel like a referee, not a mum!
Oh the joys!
But the best excuse I’ve ever heard came from my 10 year old…
Me: Can you tidy your room please?
Son: Yeah of course I can mummy… But do you know what?
Son: I can tidy it … but nobody can tidy my room as good as you can… You can make it look awesome!
Now how do I respond to that?!
I want to laugh. I want to shout at him for trying to play me. I want to hug him. I want to tell him to get up the stairs right this minute and start cleaning. And then I even want to … tidy his room for him to make it look awesome!
I think he’ll go far in this world if he keeps sweet talking like this.
What’s the funniest excuse you’ve ever heard for not being able to tidy up? From a child or adult? Let me know by leaving a message below…