School reading challenge

My son’s school has set up a reading challenge in order to encourage children to read more at home. All they have to do is read 3 times, no specified time limit or number of pages, as long as it’s with a parent. They have a diary to complete which we, parents, sign as proof. This is checked every friday by their teacher and if the chid has 3 signatures, they win a small prize (sweets, stationary etc). Sounds easy, doesn’t it? And at first my son was really enthusiastic but very quickly the novelty wore off. So he came to me one friday morning before school:

Son: Mummy, can you sign my reading diary for yesterday so I can get a prize today?

Me: But you didn’t read to me yesterday.

Son: Yeah, but… I’ll read extra on Monday.

Me: I’m not going to lie to your teacher.

Son: He wont know!

Me: That’s not the point. Do you think it’s right for me to lie?

Son: No but I read the other 2 days and that’s more than some kids in my class do.

Me: I don’t care about the other kids! What will I be teaching you if I lie and sign your diary?

Son: Urm…. Urm…. That you’re the best mum in the whole world!

Photo by mentatdgt on Pexels.com

Do you think I signed the diary?

Sadly, yes! Ok, I know – I’m a softy! But his words win me over every time!

I did however, tell him he would read as soon as he got home from school that day for 30 minutes or there would be a PlayStation ban that would last the whole weekend. That’s enough to scare any child in my house!

I promise I’ll become tougher as they get older.

Or at least… I’ll try!

1. Paul says:

The twins had a similar reading challenge last year. No prizes, but they had to pick a different location to read every time — on a couch, on a carpet, in the garden, sitting on the stairs, and so on.

It was quite fun, if a bit cramped when we all had to sit on the stairs together.

πŸ˜‚ I can imagine that would be fun! I might try that with my lad, see if it makes him enjoy reading any more! Thanks for the idea! πŸ˜ƒ

2. yuulye says:

Hahaha, “Yeah, but… I’ll read extra on Monday.” Not so different from me… But lying is still bad…

I know. I think we all use those excuses but I can’t tell my son that – that would be bad parenting! πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚

You’ve been quiet for a while, no posts, all ok?

1. yuulye says:

Yep, was busy with things, thank you for asking 😊

3. I think many of us are easily influenced. I am but like you I grimly cling to my Xbox threat as the line in the sand.

Banning playstation . I would have read the story to my neighbours too.

But you have a very smooth talking son what else you could have done?πŸ˜‰

Thank you for understanding my dilemma! πŸ˜†

I would have signed the report too. Not your fault.😊

Good to know I’m not the only soft touch! πŸ˜‚

5. Alexis Rose says:

😁I have been known to do the same thing for my kids when they were younger. Truth be told…would do it again too! πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ it’s bad what we do for our kids! The hard bit is making sure they understand it’s wrong even if we are still doing it! Like the saying – do as I say, not as I do!

1. Alexis Rose says:

Hahahhaha, yep. 😁

6. Oh I love the mum you are. You are so sweet. I would of done the same . Thankfully they never did this when my son was in school it would of been a struggle . My daughter had too but she liked to read .. still is a avid reader. Now about you getting tougher…. hmmm I don’t think so . πŸ™‚ I don’t think I you need too . Your just fine.❀️

πŸ˜‚… Thank you… My hubby thinks I’m too soft on the kids but I bet he would have done the same as well! … I think I’ll be tough if I need to be, like – really need to be πŸ‘ … ❀

1. Yes I agree with you , men can be soft lol , yes I think you could be tough when needed it’s all about what battles to fight.πŸ™‚

7. KANIKA says:

Haha… I really wish you could have said no

So do I 😩 … Maybe next time… Maybe πŸ˜‚

8. Beyond The Bounds says:

You’re such an amazing mom! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚… btw, the ending was unexpected… i thought you would say noπŸ˜‚

So did I πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1. Beyond The Bounds says:

HeheπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

9. Rageshree says:

Aww that was so sweet of you!❀️ Hope the play station banning worksπŸ˜‰ I realised one thing though- procrastination is not just a teenage problem then;)

I know! I’ve did a blog piece about it maybe a year ago… About my hubby being a procrastinator … πŸ˜‚

1. Rageshree says:

Oh yeah I remember reading that!😁Well, it’s a problem everyone deals with:) Love and hugs!πŸ’•

10. Wammyspeaks says:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

11. CJ Porter says:

I laughed at your son’s last reply. They certainly know how to play us lol
    Coincidentally my son and his friends set up a reading group this week. They started a snap chat group and take turns reading so one person doesn’t have to read everything. Bit crafty but I appreciate their ingenuity.

I like the imagination behind the Snapchat idea, they might be on to something there… Whatever it takes, I guess… But yes, they are good at playing us! πŸ˜‚