Throwback Tuesday

The beautiful sunny weather outside this past week has made me reminisce to days from my childhood.Β As children, weekends were spent with my parents taking us to new places and exploring the best of what England has to offer.

A very fond activity we all did together in summer was to go strawberry picking. There were many farms around where we lived but we ended up having a favourite to which we would return several times during the specific months.

It was set in vast countryside, overlooking hills, where animals would graze freely, rabbits hopped around chasing each other (and we them) where families could come to enjoy the setting and escape the bustle of everyday life. It was beautiful!

green leafed trees under blue sky
Photo by Lisa Fotios on Pexels.com

The thing that made this particular farm really special were the proprietors. They didn’t care so much for how much money we spent there but rather, wanted to make sure we had a good time. We would be given our baskets on entry, to collect the strawberries in, and showed how to weigh them at checkout. However, then we were told something, which to the ears of children – was mind-blowing!

We could eat as much as we wanted as we went around and only had to pay for what we brought back in our baskets! SERIOUSLY?!Β

And so we did!Β We would eat about 5 and bucket 1… Eat another 5 and bucket 1… And so on! Absolutely heavenly… There were no restrictions, no health and safety regulations, no being told we had to wash the fruit before eating it, just pop in your mouth and on to the next.

As you can imagine, we used to leave with belly aches every time we went there and we would swear that next time we would eat less, obviously that never happened.

The simplicity of these times is what makes me really appreciate this memory.

close up photography of strawberries
Photo by Anya Vasilieva on Pexels.com

Do you have a fond memory from your childhood about a special place you used to visit? Please leave me a comment below as I would love to hear about it…

Lets take a trip down memory lane…

1. CJ Porter says:

That’s a lovely memory. It’s no wonder you all kept going back to the same farm. Think we all would πŸ™‚

It really was a magical place… Hope you have a great day… ❀

1. CJ Porter says:

You too! Sun is shining. What more could we ask for! πŸ™‚

I’m glad you enjoyed it… 😊

2. orkidedatter says:

You made me feel good memories of my childhood, I have many of them too and they means a lot to meπŸ¦‹

It’s great to remember them, makes us smile… 😊❀

1. orkidedatter says:

I know, and I still smiling❀️

3. OMG that is an amazing thing 😍

It really was… Thanks for stopping by… ❀

4. blindzanygirl says:

That’s a lovely memory Sukil. We have strawberry farms round here in sunny Lincolnshire. Well, it is at the moment lol. I used to go picking strawberries too, but it sas rather different. It was work, and we got paid a pitta ce for it, but we still enjoyed it. Along with bean pulling in the season.

My loveliest memories are of playing as a child at my grandparents’ farm in Lincolnshire. Just so many memories that I. An hardly pick out one. But at harvest time my grandfather would get all the men from the vilkage to come up to the farm (it was out of the village and a bit isolated) and get the harvest in. This was wheat, barley etc? It always seemed to be sunny and hot. In the late afternoon my grandmother would come out to the field with a huge huge plate of sa dwiches for the men, and huge urns of tea. Mse all had a kind of party. Shot, the cocker spaniel was tbere as well – liver and white in colour. He kept chasing rabbits, and getting shouted at by my uncle for doing so. He was told to STOP! It was a huge huge celebration. Then there was the β€˜East. My little coysin called it that instead of Feast. This was a tearly fair in the village and all sorts of other things as well. Wenused to swing in the big boat shaped swings that seemed to be going high into the night sky, up to the stars. Lovely memories. Xx

Sounds amazing! … Childhood really are the best years… I keep telling my kids this but they won’t realise until they are older… β€πŸ’•

5. Wow. It was amazing to know about your childhood memories. πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
    I bet it was very much fun

Soooo much fun! I tried to take my boys strawberry picking but they said they’d rather just go to the supermarket to get them! They don’t realise the experience they are missing out on, it’s a shame… X

1. Yeah, nowadays everyone’s like that, they don’t realize the fun is actually the whole thing,. Not just eating strawberries..πŸ™‚

6. Abhi Jeet says:

Reminiscing ! πŸ˜‡
    Reminded me of my Childhood days where Life and People both were Wonderful.

And them Pictures are as lovely & beautiful as you ❀

Thank you, I’m flattered! … It’s great to walk down memory lane, the easier life… ❀

7. Tanusri sen says:

Lovely post.. So you hd wonderful experience with strawberry πŸ“.. πŸ˜ƒ

Yes! & still love strawberries till this day! πŸŒžπŸ“πŸ˜ƒ

8. Paul says:

I remember strawberry picking when I was a boy, and my experiences were much the same as yours — eating as much as we could manage while dropping the occasional strawberry in the basket as we did so.

I’m sure I must have made myself feel sick by the end of it, but what I remember is long afternoons of picking and eating the fruit. And they always taste better when you’ve picked your own πŸ˜‰

Very true… I’m glad I can share this memory with you…

1. Paul says:

It’s a great memory, and has left me feeling all nostalgic πŸ™‚

It’s a good way to feel… 😊☺️

3. Paul says:

Very much so πŸ˜€

9. Mama Buzz says:

Beautiful memories!

I’m glad you liked it… Thank you for stopping by… x

That was great. I like strawberries. 😊

Me too… πŸ˜‹β€οΈ

I have happy memories of picking up mangoes from our neighbours tree. ( Picking up is a euphimism for stealing.).πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

11. SuePerMom says:

Awa I love this! We used to to grape picking and then my Dad would make moonshine. I loved squashing the grapes at first. I’d dance in the the little barrel. Then he found a cheap spot to buy grapes and we never went again. Terrible.

Oh that’s such a shame… maybe you can remake this memory with yours… πŸ’•

12. Omg yes! Childhood memories are the best. Thanks for sharing this.

You made me remember when I visited my grandparents at their ranch. It was so far away from the city in, up in the mountains surrounded by palm trees everywhere. My uncles used to take me into town really early in the morning to get cookies so we can eat them for breakfast! I would ride in the back of a white old pick up truck to watch the cattle and the horses on the way. I felt so free without a worry in the world… πŸ™‚

Wow, a ranch, that’s amazing! … That must have been such a great feeling… thank you for sharing it with me!

13. Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory! 😊 I remember my favorite memories as a kid were rolling down hills and finding shapes in the clouds.

I still do those things πŸ˜‚ … I guess my inner child never wants to grow up… ☺️

1. Me, too! β˜€οΈ According to the author who wrote The Dirt Cure, the more we interact with the soil, the healthier we are. Plus, there’s the play β€” or the inner child β€” aspect, too! ☺️

That’s good to know, thanks πŸ‘β€

14. Betul Erbasi says:

Lovely! I think for me, since my childhood was overall simple, I kinda miss all of it:)

I know that feeling… ❀

1. Betul Erbasi says:

It is a warm one:)

15. Fariha says:

That’s a wonderful phase, memories from childhood are like treasures- they don’t fade with time rather its value appreciates with time…

You put into words exactly how I feel… ❀

16. Such good wholesome memories…
    We always headed to the beach, long, lazy sunshiny days. πŸ˜€

That sounds glorious… 🌞🌊 🌴 ❀

17. Awww what a beautiful comforting memory! Fresh strawberries delicious! I have a childhood memory it’s really simple just running around our yard barefoot catching fireflies at night while the adults just sat outside chatting until it was time to call it a night. Carefree like your memory ❀️

That sounds perfect! … β€πŸ’•

18. Sunith says:

Picking Guavas and Mangoes for me bring back good old memories

That sounds lovely … ❀