Is anybody there?

We sit around a table, the four of us. Darkness surrounds us apart from the flicker of light coming from a candle in the centre of the table, placed by the Ouija board.

“This is stupid!” says Kelly.

“Just coz you’re scared” sneers Chrissy, “your always the one to bottle out of doing anything fun.”

Kelly does look worried so I try to reassure her. “It’ll be fine Kel, chances are nothing will happen.”

She squirms in her chair and looks around at the others, “O.K. But this is on you guys.”

We all link hands and I can feel the tension flowing through us. “Let’s begins” decides Toni, we all close our eyes and chant. “Is anybody there?”

Nothing happens… We try again, “is anybody there.”

Still nothing. Firmly, I take the lead “if anybody is with us please give us a sign.”

A cold blast of wind sweeps through the room startling us all; but shocking Kelly, she breaks the link by jumping to her feet and shouts “Who ever’s messing around better stop, this ain’t funny!”

Chrissy’s anger finally snaps, “you stupid cow, you broke the link!”

“I don’t care!” Kelly bawled. “I knew we shouldn’t mess with this stuff!”

“Oh stop being such a baby and sit back down” Chrissy mocked her; her patience now reaching its final straw.

But Kelly has no intension of sticking around, “no chance, I’m out of here! And if you lot have any sense, you’d stop too!” She scurries towards the door but stops abruptly. Stuck in her tracks. She doesn’t move… The rest of us look at each other with a look of confusion.

“Kelly…” Toni tries to get her attention. She doesn’t respond. “Kelly, are you ok?”

Kelly turns to face us. Her face is distorted. Her mouth is ajar but no words transpire. She slowly extends her arm as if she wants us to take hold of it. I can’t move, I’m unable to do anything… I don’t understand what’s happening.

Chrissy bravely steps out to take Kelly’s hand…

Without warning, a deafening shriek escapes Kelly’s lips. “AAARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr!”

We all cover our ears and cower to the floor in pain. Then blackness. The blackest, deepest, darkness imaginable. I lay on the floor still covering my ears, trying to work out my surroundings but I can’t see anybody else. Fearfully, I close my eyes…

I’m not sure how much time went past. I didn’t move until I felt warm arms around me, it was Toni. “Are you O.K?”

I nod even though I’m not and I allow her to support me back onto my feet. The sound has stopped, the candle is alight again, the others are sitting at the table but… “where’s Kelly?”

Nobody answers, panic is painted on their faces along with traces of wept tears. Toni leads me back to my seat, I willingly proceed unsure of what else to do. We sit for a minute in silence, trying to process what has manifested before us. Then we link hands again.

“Is anybody there?” We ask.

No answer.

“Is anybody here with us?”

Silence.

“Please… anybody… Kelly, if you’re here please answer us.” Toni pleads.

The eye on the Ouija board begins to move. We sit transfixed, watching as it spells out…

W H O E L S E W A N T S T O L E A V E ?

Β©2019 story by Baffledmum (Suki Matharu)

1. What a tease ending it there. Going to be thinking about that niw for rest of the day… it’s really good. Always been completely spooked out with ouija boards.

Same here… It was fun writing it but didn’t know how I was going to end it – until I did… Or didn’t…

1. Well done Suki. πŸ’

2. Me too. I refused to buy it for my daughter.

2. Wonderful share… thought provoking great ….I have never tried ouija boards….little horror entered in my mind while reading…like an Aahat….keep blogging… perfect title

I’ve never tired them either, my friends really wanted to do it during college years but I was too scared! And I still am!!!

1. Have a great day β˜• God bless youπŸ™Jai Shree Krishna

3. orkidedatter says:

Wow,
    I am so enchantingly happy, I applaud you, thank you so much for your wonderful reading, a little scary because you write like I’m in the story. Yoa are so good❀️

That’s a great compliment, thank you so much… β€πŸ’•

1. orkidedatter says:

You are amazingπŸ¦‹

4. Something to remember⭐️

As long as it’s not a nightmare type remember! πŸ˜‚ … ❀

1. πŸ•πŸ‘»πŸ˜±πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Very interesting read Suki. A very interesting read indeed. Loved it. I have an alternate ending to it, if you permit I can write that in a form of a story on my blog. πŸ™ƒ

Yes of course, feel free to write an alternative ending… You can also ping it back to my original post if you would like to… I look forward to reading it…

6. Very vivid description and great built up. Creepy! I am glad I did not read this last night during the thunderstorm. Good job!

I’m glad you liked it, I enjoyed writing it – love horror! πŸ‘»

1. Waiting for more πŸ‘πŸ€—

A very interesting story indeed.

8. Okay I do not like ouija boards my niece has one and it scares me … so this was spooky but omg you have me !! That was so good . Are you going to keep going with it?πŸ™‚

I’m glad you liked it… I’m not sure if I’m going to carry it on… I normally like to write open ended stories but I’ll see…. πŸ‘€ ❀

1. Well either way you go works great ! Loved it❀️

9. I jut saw a movie Ouija in Netflix and you know how much I hate horrors. Your story gave me goosebumps! I don’t understand why people actually try these stuffs too. Have you ever?

No I’ve never tried it… I’m too scared of messing with the unknown… πŸ˜¬πŸ‘»β˜ οΈ

10. Markus J. says:

Thank you for being here!