Throwback Tuesday

I’ve been driving since I was 18 years old and have always loved it. The feeling of getting behind the wheel and having the freedom to go anywhere the roads will take you, is enticing. I’ve also, always been an extremely careful driver and (touch wood) have never had an accident. But an old memory of a car accident still stays with me to this day…

I must have been about 8, maybe 9 years old. I was in the car with all my family; with dad driving, on the way home after a lovely day out. We had a Datsun – Sunny, for anyone who does remember them, that’s showing our age! We were coming down a very steep hill when my dad realised that the brakes weren’t working! He shouted at us to hold tight, the seatbelt law wasn’t in force back then! The next thing I remember was our car hitting another vehicle.

I can’t remember the impact, if I cried or screamed, or how any of my family reacted. But I do remember the car we hit… It was a police car!

After the initial commotion of checking that everybody was OK and then moving both vehicles out of further harms way, I recall us sitting in shock waiting to be told off by the police. But this didn’t happen… In fact, a very nice police woman; who had been in the car we hit, waved down an ice-cream van and treated us all to ice creams!

It kind of turned this horrible experience into a memorable one … funny how ice-cream can calm down any situation!

action asphalt automobile automotive
Photo by Dom J on Pexels.com

Have you ever been in a car accident? I understand your story may not be as fortunate as mine but if you would like to share it, please feel free to do so in the comments box below…

1. Simon says:

There’s a few things here, I’m showing my age and remember the Datsun / Nissan Sunny, dreadful things lol.
    But you’re right Ice cream makes it all better, I slid off the road on black ice some years back… that scared me.

Black ice is terrible for driving! I’ve had many a skid but luckily nothing serious, probably because I was the only person silly enough to be driving at the point!

1. Simon says:

Sounds like what I did lol

Thank god. I was poor. I could afford neither car no ice cream.๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

๐Ÿ˜ฎ no icecream?! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜†

Hey I was just joking. I could afford the car, ice cream was out of budget though.๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

3. Paul says:

I don’t remember the Sunny, but I do remember when Nissan was Datsun. The first car I remember was my parents’ Austin Maxi, which is going back a bit.

I did have one car accident, which was horrendously embarrassing and entirely my fault. I had just started a new job and one that came with a company car. While they sorted out the administration, the company gave me a hire car — a Nissan Micra — to drive. While driving home, I realised that the fog light was on and started to look for the switch to turn it off. I found the switch, turned off the fog light and looked up… just in time to see the stationary car that I drove into.

I wasn’t going very fast and no-one was hurt but I did have to start my second day at the new job by explaining to my manager why I needed a replacement car.

When I returned the Micra, it had a grand total of 13 miles on the clock.

Oh no! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ … Well at least that’s probably thought you to check all the car functions before you start driving! ๐Ÿ˜† … I’m glad nobody was hurt, maybe just your ego – a little! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‰

1. Paul says:

The thing is that I’d learned to drive in a Micra, so I assumed that I knew everything I needed to know and jumped into the car.

The worst part was on the Tuesday. I got the car back to work and then had to listen to a stream of people coming into the office asking who had left that wreck on the car park.

I felt pretty awful at the time, but it happened over 20 years ago, so I can see the funny side now ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. We have taxis (mini buses) driven by crazy, materialistic people. I given them a wide berth. I pray and keep away from crazies.

5. Wow, that seems like a memorable one for sure. My dad is also very careful.. God knows if I will ever learn to drive a car๐Ÿ˜‚

I hope you do… As long as you drive carefully like your dad… ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ oh yes I will,careful driving is the new smartness๐Ÿ˜…

6. Claudette says:

That’s so funny! ๐Ÿ˜Š

It ended well… ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Hi friend! I don’t see you in my feed anymore :/ I missed your post so I came by to visit you page.

I was in a car accident once. It was a rainy day. My breaks went out as well, and I hit a truck that was stopped at a red light. It was so scary! Thankfully nothing happened to me nor the other driver. It took me a a week or so to get the guts to drive again.

Hi! Thank you for popping by, I don’t know what’s happening with WordPress, it says I have no followers!!! ๐Ÿ˜ต I’m not sure how to resolve it?

Your accident sounds scary, I don’t blame you for taking time out from driving. I hate driving in the rain. I’m glad you were ok though… โค

1. Yikes! Well, you must definitely do… so maybe send WordPress an email. I’ve read of other people having similar problems. My last post wouldn’t pop up on the feed today either. I tried it several times until it did.

The accident was scary my car was a total loss and they had to yank the car door to let me out. I am extra careful driving in the rain now. Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you, I will email WordPress… & yes, you stay safe – rain or not… โ™ฅ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. You too! I am getting ice cream for lunch ha ha

๐Ÿ˜‚ it’s pancake day here today so we’ve just had pancakes with ice cream on top! ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ˜‹

8. mothertherealist says:

I never got into a car accident as a child. Or, I had a few and now can’t remember because of brain damage… ๐Ÿ˜‰

I did just rear-end a car because of suddenly (SUDDENLY!) stopping traffic. It was my first at-fault accident in 20 years of driving, so that’s a good, minor one for the books. My son was in the backseat but thinks he only had a bit of whiplash. Even with seatbelts and police reports and insurance, we are so concerned about injuries and emotional trauma. I like the ice cream idea better!

๐Ÿ˜‚ you do make me laugh! I’m glad you’re both ok & the accident wasn’t serious… โค๐Ÿ˜‰

1. mothertherealist says:

๐Ÿ˜€ For all we know…

9. Oh my … so happy everyone was okay . Aww love the ice cream truck part. Itโ€™s scary car accident.๐Ÿ˜ฅ

I can imagine there’s terrible car accident stories out there, luckily mine wasn’t one of them… Ice cream is always a great treat ๐Ÿฆ๐Ÿ‘โค

1. any of them are terrible . Ice cream is great lol๐Ÿ™‚โค๏ธ

10. My friend had a Datsun which had a hole in the floor so you could see the road. The AA should have an emergency ice cream van that goes out to accidents. A kid on a bmx rode into the side of my Escort. The kid was ok but when the policeman turned up he didnโ€™t half tell the kid off and confiscated his bike. He was told he had to go to the Police Station to pick it up. Unfortunately his police car wouldnโ€™t start after he finished telling the kid off. So I had to drive him back to the cop shop.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ what a story! Good on the the policeman for telling the boy off. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ฎ

11. triarianiindah says:

Nice car

12. huguetta says:

Glad you were all safe at the end and it turns out to be a funny memory ๐Ÿ˜Š While driving, I did small accidents, scratches and stuff before mastering but as a passenger, I faced around 4 big accidents but we all survived, I was beside the driver and no scratch ๐Ÿ™‚ luckily, now I always laugh when I remember even though it wasnโ€™t funny to almost die, the funny part that I was never afraid and I never had a scratch

I’m glad there were no serious injuries… It’s good to look back & smile at these memories… ๐Ÿ˜Šโค

1. huguetta says:

Oh yes itโ€™s a blessing and miracle probably….I mentioned this in one of my posts โ€œMy Motherโ€™s Angelsโ€
        We always laugh when we recall something that didnโ€™t hurt us deeply physically or mentally