Unexplainable emotions

Last week I was feeling a little low but I’m not sure why…

It made me start thinking about feelings and why these emotions occur.

When we are happy we can generally explain why we are happy. Because something worked out for us, because we woke without aches and pains, because the sun is shining…

When we are feeling sad, sometimes we can explain why, because we are unwell, because we are missing someone, because we are feeling lonely…

But what about the times when we are feeling down but can’t explain why? When there is no reason to get us down but our hearts feel so heavy the only outlet is to cry. How do we explain our feelings then? Doctors would diagnose this as depression, a chemical imbalance. But surely we want to understand it in more depth so we can avoid these feelings reoccurring…

How do we refrain from falling into the deep dark depth of depression when we can’t understand what takes us there in the first place?

woman looking at sea while sitting on beach
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

I’ve suffered with depression for years and it has just become part of my life. But I can feel down for days, even weeks and when I finally start feeling myself again, the guilt of my low stays with me. It’s a vicious cycle I want to learn to control, if that is possible… Do you think it is?

This is where I would like your help. I know many of you suffer with depression or moments of low. Do you know your triggers? How do you pick yourself back up?

I would love to hear about you feelings on this topic. Tell me if you’re a sufferer. Tell me how you deal with it or cope. Tell me if you have support or what support you would like. Tell me anything you feel is important about dealing with depression…

Come, talk to me, I am ready to listen…

ground group growth hands
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

1. orkidedatter says:

Wow, I could recognize myself in your words, we are a little bit like you and me I think, I felt at least like that when I read your words in this post.
    Maybe you understand that from my blog too…
    I love this post, I can feel it in my heart and soul, and my heart is crying. Crying because I am sorry you feel that way❤️
    How I pick myself up? I cry and cry, write and write, paint and draw🦋
    I write down in my book -Orchidedaughters garden-I named it. There I write something positive during the day and what I am thankful for. A book that should only have positivity. I use a method called the A-B-C method here in Norway and it is about feeling the feeling, recognizing, asking me even if I could have done something different, reacting emotionally differently and what and how would I have done it.
    I use medition as well…
    This is a post I get very personally engaged in so I have to stop myself because I can talk and talk about this. There were some thoughts from me about some of what has helped me …
    I’m sorry a write too much, but that is only because I care about you, you are a lovely person that I just wish all the best❤️
    🦋

Thank you so much for your comment… I think writing down something positive is a great thing to do… Also it’s nice we have our blogs to vent on as sometimes we do not want to burden family with our emotions… As for crying, it helps to release that built up tension & I find I always feel better after a good cry… 😢❤😌

1. orkidedatter says:

You are a beautiful soul and I totally agree with you. There is no magic answer to this and I might be a little engaged.
        To cry is to cleanse the soul, that’s feel good❤️
        Thank you for your nice words, and if you think it is ok, I send you a big HUG with lovely thoughts🦋

I accept your big hug and hug you back… Your words make me smile… 😊❤

3. orkidedatter says:

🦋lets smile together, thank you❤️

Definitely…. 😊 💓

The trouble is most of the times we do not know if we are suffering from depression. This sure is a feeling we neither understand nor cherish.

True… There’s still a big stigma surrounding depression & we need to learn more. Doctors are quick to diagnose it but we find it difficult to understand… ❤

Couldn’t agree more.

3. Claudette says:

I have no magic answers but in my case, after speaking to a naturopath doctor and getting a more holistic opinion about how the body works, I realize sometimes the depression is at least partly influenced by hormonal fluctuations. I keep better track of my cycles now, know when my low points do tend to occur, am more mindful nutrition during those days etc. Example, no sugar, alcohol on those days, especially of I crave those items more than usual.

It’s not perfect nor a solution to all my bouts of feeling low, unhappy or stressed, but it has helped to reduce the amount of time it does happen. I find I can anticipate triggers better and manage that time better as well. But, like I said, it doesn’t take it all away, it just helps a little.

It’s not easy being a girl! 😉❤

Yes, I agree! I’m much worse during my monthly cycle. Maybe knowing that it’s a trigger starts the low mood off even sooner as I’m anticipating it… I also agree diet changes can ease the emotions, I think I personally need to be more conscious of that… Thank you for your input… ❤💕

4. ilonapulianauskaite says:

Feels really familiar❤️

It’s crazy how many of us share these bouts of emotions… I hope you have coping methods to help ease your feelings… ❤💕

1. ilonapulianauskaite says:

Yes, i can handle them now, but had times, when i couldn’t ❤️

I’m glad it’s got easier… 💓

5. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Very very true. Many times, I just feel like this. Down, and I behave bad with everyone,even when people who care about me try to cheer me up, i just shoo them away. And then sometimes I am just so happy. This roller coaster of emotions gets irritating. I have suffered from depression, well I wouldn’t call it depression because it was not for a very long period, as the medicine world defines it. I had symptoms of the same but it was sometime ago and now I feel I have grown out of it, I don’t know how, I kept myself busy at other things and my family is extremely good. Still now, I just feel lonely, shrivelled up in my world, I sometimes feel like not talking to anyone.. but yeah.. this happens sometimes..
    I hope you can manage your emotions well. You are a wonderful person and we all love you right? 😊😊

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences we me…
      It’s a shame that when we are feeling low, we take it out on the people closest to us. I can’t understand why we do this… & yet they stick by us, for that I am grateful… I think we should look around us & see all the things we should be grateful for … Even if this is sometimes difficult…
      Your kind words have made me smile, I appreciate it! 😀

1. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Yes I agree. The people who stick by us matters the most. Because they chose us over their anger or annoyance at us. ☺️ I am eternally grateful to them. Thank you for this post. I really feel grateful that you heard me patiently 🙂

I’m always here to listen… ❤

6. Betul Erbasi says:

I think I will just say what most people here said: very relatable and I don’t have an answer. For me, it was because all pressure accumulated for years and got me into depression. So, it was very sudden for me, like a machine being broken. I sort of know the trigger, but it is too general to handle and does not solve much.

Thank you for allowing me to share your experience… None of us have an answer, we just do the best we can… ❤

1. Betul Erbasi says:

Yes, that is probably all we can do.

7. So you got me thinking, and as my answer would be to long to put here I will do a blog post, but all in all I think that most people will feel down, but will have to look at their live mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually, that’s what I did and still do.

8. Hi Dear and Beautiful ladies all, I am Annie and I am 77 and have suffered depression all my life too. There are a lot of things we can write about it and they are probably all true. Some anthropologists believe that depression may have come about with primitive peoples because during the long winters, especially near the ice ages, were very difficult times for them with food difficult to come by and long, dark days, so their coping mechanism developed into depression, when they would sleep a lot, and likely not have as much requirement for food. This enabled them to cope with the physical world.

A lot of us live in areas where wintertimes are cold and dreary and the hours of darkness longer. We all know that sunlight is good for us (as long as we don’t get over-exposed). And many of us are deficient in Vitamin D, which the sunshine helps to provide for us.

There are things I have learned to do to help myself as my depression used to get so bad I tried a number of times to end it all. I am an artist on the side and also a writer. If any of you have read my blog, http://www.allinadaysbreath.wordpress.com, you will see examples of my writing. But also I have a need to put things that come into my mind into some sort of physical shape as I can deal with them better if I can see them. I don’t remember if I put the article I wrote called “Summoning Forth the Boogeyman” on my site or not, but I am going to repeat it here in short form so that you can get the gist of it.

When we are children, we go through a stage where every night before bed, or most nights anyway, we search for the boogeyman before we go to bed. Now no one has exactly ever described the boogeyman for us, but we each have in our mind some unseen and perhaps shapeless and colorless figure that we believe is going to get us. So before going to bed, we look carefully in closets, behind doors and clothing that is hanging anywhere, and definitely under our beds. This can go on for a year or years, and then suddenly one day we just stop looking anymore and just lay down and go to sleep at night. And then it may not reappear until we are older – grownups in fact, when the boogeyman returns for us in many forms – stress from work, from our children, from a lover or husband, from the world in general. When we were young, it was our way of empowering ourselves that we developed the boogeyman. But as adults, having lost the boogeyman, we create other forms and ways of dealing with these things, and one of the most common is depression.

Has anyone ever thought of giving the boogeyman a shape, a color, a name? What if we all took some crayons or colored pencils or even just plain pencils and drew what depression looks like? Does he change his color, his shape, from day to day? What if we gave him a name? What if HE was indeed a SHE? Or perhaps a HE/SHE or even an animal? I am trying to think what my depression looks like. Sometimes I think it is a huge wave that is going to drown me, and some days it seems like a strange bush way out in the barren desert and the bush has an odd fragrance like rain. I actually like that one. There is a sadness and a loneliness to it but that smell of the rain intrigues me and seems to draw me to it again and again. It isn’t exactly just rain, but rain mixed with the smell of that desert bush. What about yours? I would love to read how everyone else’s depression looks. Does it do anything to your body too? Does it make you feel like sleeping a lot? Eating?

I hope that everyone can find a way to express her (or his) depression. Do you find that you have it more in the winter than the summer? What seems to make you feel the best when you are depressed? Do you have something you are able to do that helps any? I send everyone white light on this dreary and cold day here in So. CA.

Hi Annie, thank you so much for this reply to my post… Yes, I agree with you about sunlight being a contributing factor, just seeing the sun shine makes me happy. Living in England, we don’t do well with the weather as most days are cloudy & dismal… Maybe I need to emigrate to the sunnier side of the world – if only it was that easy…
      I am a follower of your blog & I hope anybody reading this will be inspired by your thoughts & wisdom and they too will begin to read your posts… Thank you once again Annie… ❤

9. My daughter and I both suffer from anxiety and depression. So strange you mentioned this .. I have felt in a low sad mood which I can’t explain why … my daughter too. For me I’m thinking when I don’t get the sleep I need , triggers it. And yes then I feel guilty for feeling this way … oh my what timing of your post…..

Sleep affects me too but then strangely, I find it difficult to sleep when I feel low… It’s a strange emotion ❤

1. Yes exactly .. I wanted to state that thinking maybe that’s why I sometimes have those times of not sleeping.. Agree with you when you say it’s a strange emotion. ❤️

True, the brain finds it difficult to switch off some nights… 💤

3. Yes it so hard to shut it off.

10. Yes but I still can’t fully highlight the triggers. All I know is the anxiety kicks in then I have a day to try and stop the D developing. Great great post

Thank you for commenting and letting me know how it is for you… ❤

11. I experienced depression about 12 years ago. It didn’t know if I would ever feel happy again. I think it was mostly the result of my diet. I also think that I was questioning my life purpose, and I had yet to experience how powerful gratitude is. Nature also helps me clear my head, and animals help me experience joy.

Nature is great healing, a long walk through the park or countryside helps to clear the brain… I also feel being more grateful for things should help us on our path to recovery…. Thank you for sharing your experiences with me… ❤

12. Reblogged this on Micworldwide and commented:
    THIS IS AMAZING!
    PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU’RE FOLLOWING MY NEW PAGE HERE.

Followed! Thank you for reposting… ❤

13. mothertherealist says:

Over at my main site (and a mental health site I write on occasionally), I posted an article titled “The Cure for Depression.” It’s really a list of 14ish things that help.

In counseling, my therapist maintains that I have a negative thought process that I need to re-direct. CBT exercises help with this, a lot. 🙂

CBT? What’s that? & drop the link of your other site here so I can check it out… ❤

1. mothertherealist says:

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Here is the article on the collaborative site: https://thebipolarwriter.blog/2018/05/28/the-cure-for-depression/

14. Depression is such a tricky, messy, and overwhelming feeling. Before my diagnosis of bipolar 2, OCD, severe depression, and other wonderful crap… I was suicidal. The depression had taken over my whole being, and I thought I was simply existing and not living at all. I was collecting dust like furniture.
    Thank goodness for therapy and medication to bring me back to a somewhat normal human being.
    However, it wasn’t the end of the depression. It still sneaks up on me when I least expect it to, and I never understood why. Something sets it off, and then I fall into the abyss, scratching my head… “What happened?” That’s when I need to seek help from my psychiatrist and therefore tweak my meds all over again.

I’m sorry for all the suffering you are going through. I have heard from many long term suffers about how depression is handled for a while but always manages to find it’s way back into their lives… I guess it’s an ongoing battle… I just hope we all have the strength to continue fighting it… Thank you for your reply…

1. We all have to push through depression somehow, someway.
        There are several methods I use to fight the blues.
        1. Listen to some relaxing music and/or something real upbeat. 2. Adult coloring books. 3. Meditating 2 times a day. 4. Read an awful lot here on WP. 5. Because I’m OCD, I tend to find it very uplifting to clean while listening to upbeat tunes.
        When all else fails, that’s when I get in touch with my psychiatrist and therapist to talk and tweak my medication.
        I hope some of my suggestions help you. 🙏😉 😊

15. CJ Porter says:

I can relate also. I used to have terrible bouts of depression for a long time. Coming on for no apparent reason like yourself.
    There really doesn’t seem to be a one-size fits all answer. Although I do now believe it stems from something unfulfilled within your being.
    That said sometimes when those feelings come around all you can do is persevere until they pass.
    Sorry to hear you have to live with that affliction. Much love to you Suki!

Thank you for your kind words… It’s a struggle many of us face… ❤

16. Krishna says:

Hope you are doing well now. I use mindfulness and loving kindness meditation for emotional balancing. There was a time in which I faced depression. Loving kindness meditation helped me to heal myself. Focusing on present moment helps me now not to keep balance. May you love yourself a lot and care yourself gently like you love your kids and husband. May you have abundance of peace, happiness and good health 😊

Thank you for sharing your experiences & support strategies with me… ❤

1. Krishna says:

Everything will be fine dear 😊

17. Manoj Mehra says:

When I feel low, either I start listening to music, watching TV or just sleep. It’s my way of dealing with it.

Thank you for sharing your coping methods, I also use music as a therapy.