Consequences!

Wouldn’t it be great to say whatever was on your mind with no consequences?

Unfortunately we live in a world where that’s not possible… Unless you are the type of person who doesn’t care about how you are portrayed to others.

I do care so I hold my tongue, a lot! There are many things I see and hear to which I don’t react because I don’t want to deal with the consequences. I don’t like confrontation, don’t get me wrong, I will stand my ground if I need to but it doesn’t happen very often.

But there are a few things that really bother me up and if there were no consequences I would love to deal with these situations…

nature summer yellow animal
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

If there were no consequences, I would stand up to the pathetic excuse of human beings who ignore the safety of others and decide to park in a no-parking zone! This includes the pavements outside school gates, double yellow lines and restricted bays!

If there were no consequences, I would tell people to stop swearing! I mean – I realise people swear when they are annoyed but don’t use it so much in regular conversations that it becomes part of the global language!

If there were no consequences, I would tell the lady/man behind me in the supermarket checkout – “NO you can’t go in front of me!” Even if they do have fewer items, I’ve been waiting in the queue therefore so can they! I know they ask but do they not realise I can’t exactly say no?

man and woman wearing brown leather jackets
Photo by Vera Arsic on Pexels.com

There’s many more wrongs I would put right if there were no consequences but that would make for a really long post!

So instead, I’ll ask you…

“If there were no consequences, what situation would you put right?”

Let me know by leaving a comment below…

1. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Ohh yes. You spoke my heart. I also hold my tongue a lot. The second point about swearing, I agree completely. I hate that honestly. Another thing is the I would confront people who are fake, say nice things in front but backstab whenever possible and also don’t care much but they show as if they do. I hate rude people, so I would confront the people too who don’t give their seats to an aged person or someone who is sick or someone who just behaves bad. The list doesn’t end.
    But unfortunately, I have to hold my tongue.

There’s so many wrongs to put right, you are correct – the list is endless! I just want people to be nicer to eachother, being respectful & kind shouldn’t be a chore… Thank you for your comment ❤

1. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Exactly. The post is amazing 😊

2. I am with you and Suki about swearing, Ramyani! I now and then use “the language of stress” when no other words will do the job, but that’s it. It’s over use is so very boring, so very fake, so very dishonest.

Exactly! It’s pointless, almost like it’s said to act tough!

2. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

I feel it’s cheap. After some time, people fail to restrain themselves from uttering those words.

2. I suspect I would tell people to stop watching reality TV shows. Tell people to say thank you. Ditch my U.K. passport and get an EU one….

1. Good point, Be! The world would be nicer if more people would say “thanks” when thanks was in order than those who say “get lost” when get lost was a not in order.

Saying “thank you” & “please”, so easy yet so hard for some! Thank you for your input… ❤

3. Claudette says:

What is it about people assuming your time is less valuable than theirs? They have fewer items to pay for therefore they need to leave the store quicker?
    This has happened to me too. I have said both yes and no…but ‘no’ more often lately. 🙄 No need to be mean or derogatory about it, just “sorry, no” is enough. 😉

My point exactly! I can understand if I have a trolley full & they have a single item but I think it’s a little bit cheeky to ask, wait till I offer… 😉

4. huguetta says:

First, let me tell you that I’m usually a nice person and I make sure to respect others and be aware of the people around me in everything I do, this is why when people don’t do that, I’m really pissed! And I’m trying to control this but I fail most of the times.
    Why I’m trying to control it? Because I don’t care about the circumstances, I’m the crazy among my friends that is ready to fight and go until the end when disrespect is involved…You will have so much fun if I tell you some of the situations I faced and I didn’t stay silent 😀 Actually if I remain silent, it will haunt me and I will stay anxious for several days haha My friends have so much fun while telling all these stories and I feel so not me! OMG how I did that!
    I live in a country that rules are not respected most of times, people drive like crazy, don’t like to stand in lines, they break them the entire time and many many other chaotic acts! So you can imagine the exciting life we have! My best friend can’t remain silent when she sees some disrespectful action, more than me, sometimes I try to convince her that it’s not worth it, we can’t change people! But we end up by making fights most of the times, she starts and I end hahah

1. I enjoy reading your blog, Huguetta. I appreciate how you care enough to be honest.

1. huguetta says:

Thank you Paul but this is not my blog 🙂 since you mentioned honesty

2. Yes, I already know that. But thanks for the reminder. I do read your blog, by the way. Just so you know. 😀

I used to be like that as well but now when all I hear is horror stories about people getting stabbed for the slightest bit of conflict I second guess my judgement. Maybe now I value my life more because of my dependants… If I knew it would only be a verbal battle I would hit with full force… Thank you for your sharing… ❤

1. That makes so much sense, Suki.

2. huguetta says:

I understand of course, here people die on daily basis because of stupid fights…
        My pleasure and wish you the best of luck 🙂❤️

5. orkidedatter says:

This was really good and reflective and there are thousands of thoughts in my head…but I had a conversation here one day and I got the impression that I was treated like a little kid who didn’t know anything and couldn’t do anything or had lived life for a while … so stop treating me like a kid .. . (and one should not underestimate children either), but I just wanna scream – «sometimes I wish I would get lost from my life, just sit looking from the sidelines, see how others would coping with life in my shoes»…
    But, I never scream or say anything..
    Wow, I get engaged here.. right from the heart feeling I leave in your comment field…
    I’m not quite sure I get you an answer at you question, but this triggered me and is an experience that cut my heart …

1. It makes me mad when people treat adults like kids, Datter!

1. orkidedatter says:

Than you, I teally appreciate your support. You warm my heart🦋
        Love from Norway🦋

2. Love from Colorado!

Oh I hope you are ok? You seemed to have let out a lot of tension in this comment… If you need to scream, scream! If you need to shout, shout! If you need to talk, get things off your chest, do it in a post & I will be reading and listening… Do what ever makes you feel better, I am here along with your many other followers… ❤

1. orkidedatter says:

thank you so much, you are so incredibly kind, but I was also very committed, sorry. But maybe I take your advice and make a post out of it, and maybe I’ll go out in the wild to shout and sing a little loudly..
        yes, I am ok❤️thank you.
        I am grateful to you🌸
        🦋

6. I would do a lot of things. But unfortunately there are consequences

It’s such a shame isn’t it?! 😠

7. blindzanygirl says:

I hold my tongueall the time. I just feel that maintaininh a dugnified silence is the best policy even when someone is maligning you. There are some things though, that maybe I should speak up about, and some of the ones that you me tion zsukivare ones that I would want to speak up about. My husband is the opposite to me though lol

My husband is my opposite as well, I find myself getting angry at a situation then staying quiet but because he knows I’m upset, he will speak up – or should I say shout out! Then I’m trying to calm him down… There’s too many consequences… 😡… ❤

1. blindzanygirl says:

Lol. I know JUST what you mean!

8. I love it that you make important, complex things easy for everyone to talk about, Suki.

I think that is a key strength of yours as a writer. Me, I do almost the exact opposite. I take the same important, complex things and I try to illuminate all their twists and turns. ALL of their twist and turns. Or at least as many as I have space for.

I think the world can use — and does use — both of our approaches — just like it uses both screwdrivers and hammers but for different jobs.

You’re brilliant at taking important, complex things and making them easy to talk about, Suki. I bet your kids are already of an age now when they totally get that mom has a touch of genius in her — and that you won’t have to wait years more for them to get a clue. I bet they totally get mom already. NOT!

Urm- truthfully, my kids (especially the teenagers) think I don’t know anything! I see their eyes eyes roll when I try to explain things! But they are at that age so I’m hoping they’ll grow out of it…
      As for talking about complex things, that’s busy my brain going into over flow as usual! But if it helps people to get talking & get things off their minds, I’m always glad to support… Thank you Paul! ❤

1. Please forgive me, Suki. I’m having a hard time communicating this morning. I was trying to make a joke about your kids being typical kids and not fully getting their mom. I mean, they’re teens — I didn’t get my mom as a teen either. Today, I am in awe of her. Any way, I’m sorry my joke fell flat.

Also I’m amazed to hear you don’t do it consciously! I mean, plan out your posts in detail to bring people together in conversation over topics so many of us have trouble expressing our thoughts and feelings about. Seriously, I think about it. You do it nearly flawlessly, so far as I can see. It’s quite admirable.

9. Paul says:

One thing that frequently annoys me is those people who step off the train while still looking at their phone and then stop, right in front of the doors, because whatever mindless text they are responding to is so important that it can’t wait until they have moved out of everyone’s day.

If there were no consequences, I would give in to the temptation to give these people a nudge. Just enough to make them drop their distraction devices…

1. WOW! There are no trains in this town, Paul, but that behavior has got to be annoying! What on earth can make people so callous?

1. Paul says:

I think callous is the wrong word, it’s more a case of people being thoughtless.

Some people are so wrapped up in their devices that they just don’t realise the extent to which they are in everyone else’s way.

2. Thoughtless! That was the word I was searching for! Thanks, Paul!

Yes! Can’t believe I forgot this one! Phones!!! How people walk down the street on their phones with no regard for others trying to get past! I even see them crossing the roads whilst on their phones forcing drivers to swerve!!!! Surely nothing that urgent is on their phones! … Thank you for the reminder… ❤

10. “Unless you are the type of person who doesn’t care about how you are portrayed to others.”

ZING! THUNK! <— the sound of a Suki arrow hitting the bullseye.

Before age 37, I was sane. Past the first six months of that year, I have..um…been significantly less sane than sane. Honestly, in the past 26 years my face has turned red at most three times. I can't be perfectly sure of that, but that's my best, most honest guess.

What happened in the first six months of 1993 to mess me up for so long? Six big things at once. Big things. Think divorce. Think going out of business, losing your job. Think the murder of your intimate friend. Six big things all at once.

Use to care dearly what people thought of me. Very dearly, I recall. Only rare moments when I care now, Suki.

I'm a nice guy, though, I sometimes politely pretend to care. Even when someone praises me, the thing I mostly get out of praise is that they feel good. That’s more than enough for post-37 me.

1. About that murder. She was one of the rare Great Loves of life. It took me 26 years, but I broke my silence about it just last month. Until last month, Suki, I was Detective Joe Friday about it. “Just the facts, ma’am.” You can read what I at last wrote about it if you want. But only if you want. I could not make it any shorter than a novella length poem.

Yesterday Bryan, an author, emailed me “I have just now finished reading ‘Death in the Spring’. Powerful words that tore at my heart. Your words will stay with me for a very long time. I wonder how you got though writing them down.”

I’m serious, Suki Don’t read it unless you first sandbag your heart.

I’ll find a quiet moment… With a sandbaged heart ❤

2. Please feel no obligation. I won’t be disappointed if you don’t. But I will be ecstatic if you do.

Every action has and opposite and equal and more often than not more than equal reaction. So I hold my thoughts too.😉

Well said… 👏

12. Betul Erbasi says:

So relatable! I would want to also address parents who don’t let their children be, who don’t let them choose their own path.

Yes that’s a good one too! Thank you 👍❤

13. You have got me going lol ! I so agree with you ! Sooo many times I want to say something or yell why did you do that? Let’s see we could have a lengthy conversation on this lol let’s see I get so disgusted when I hold open a door to just be kind not for recognition .. but there is no thank you . Then when you are waiting for someone to move and you have your car directional on and some other car from another direction just takes it. Grr .. oh I could go on lol 😂

Theres an endless list, isn’t there? It’s the same for me… But please & thank you are so easy to say but still don’t get used enough! It’s a shame … ☹️

1. No they do not sadly🙄

14. mothertherealist says:

You already list some good ones. 🙂

If I had no consequences, I would like to publicly shame people who have been completely inappropriate. I can’t, as such, because of respecting their privacy and whatnot.

Oooh that’s a good one! You’ve got me thinking now… 🤔

15. tsepotheview says:

People must learn that every action has reaction so it’s up to them on what kind of reaction they want to get.

Well said… 👏❤

16. Would love to be able to tell people who return perishable goods and they know we have to throw it out/morgue for OTC. Than the same customer complains that the price is so high want to say well if you took more care and time to read the tag/sign costs would come down but given we take back $100’s of dollars in good good we ha e to throw out well prices would not be so high. Sorry a little pet peeve of mine. 😊

You go girl! That’s one way to get it out of your system… 😤 … 🙂

1. Lol thank you. Drives me batty!!!

17. Krishna says:

Well written 😊 if there will be no consequences, I would go to prisons and find the transformed good hearted beings there who were under death sentence. They those who had done the crime out of the force of circumstances and not really meant to kill another being. They were good in heart, but law could not find their good heart. I will set them free and tell them live your new transformed live. Travel to some far away place, find a job, earn well and live happily with a family or as single, but stay happy and at peace and never get sad thinking of past 😊

That’s a nice thought… Thank you for sharing this with me ❤