Let’s conquer the world!

Can you remember being young and so ambitious that you thought you could conquer the world? … I can!

I used to think everything would come easily and I could do anything I set my mind to, in a way I still do. The only difference now is that I recognise my limitations. I understand I’m never going to be an Einstein, a Usain Bolt or a Kylie Minogue, (yes, I did grow up watching Neighbours and admiring the talented actor/singer).

I am ‘ME’! And I will have to work with the many talents I have, to accomplish whatever I want, to make my place in the world.

ball shaped blur close up focus
Photo by Porapak Apichodilok on Pexels.com

However, when I was younger, I did want to be Usain Bolt! In fact, I wanted to be better than Usain Bolt! I thought I could run as fast as the speed of sound! In my mind I could. I was the fastest person in the whole world… I was the female Flash!

I used to practice running up and down my garden every day after school and at the weekends. We lived in London back then and our house was under the flight path for aeroplanes leaving Heathrow Airport. So I would wait at the bottom of the garden until a plane came inline with my race track and then I would race the aeroplane to the finish line (top of garden). And of course I would win every time! … In my mind anyway!

low angle photo of airplane
Photo by Sam Willis on Pexels.com

Oh, how simple children’s minds are… It’s a shame we grow up, thus allow practicalities to get in our way!

Now I want to know something you thought you could do as a child. What gift did you believe you had which would help you to conquer the world? And did you? Or was it a childhood fantasy?

Let me know by leaving a comment below….

1. blindzanygirl says:

I don’t think I ever thought I could conquer the world Suki. I was quite subdued as a child (can you believe THAT? Lol). But for some reason I wanted to be a teacher. I guess it was becayse in the eyes of my family, being a teacher wasnhighly respected. I DID go to Teacher Training College – Margaret Macmillan in Bradford. Apparently I would have made a brilliant teacher, but some problems got in the way. I walked out on my second Teaching Practice. It was all so unjust a d unfair what happened. I won’t go into it but I was bullied by another student who was doing her Geaching Practice at the same school as me. She thought she was the bees knees lol. Anyway, I did eventually leave College, but then later decided I still wanted to teach, and did end up teaching children with special needs for a while. I loved that. But then I got married, and we moved around a lot and that was that. So no, I did not conquer the workd but made a bit of a hash of a bit of it lol xx

Sometimes, despite our best intentions, life get in the way… Hey, I worked with special needs children as well! I’m looking to get back into it when my kids are less dependant on me… I guess we have to keep trying… ❤

1. blindzanygirl says:

Oh that is WONDERFUL Suki. I do hope you manage to do it 😊

2. huguetta says:

This is a lovely post! Strikes a chord definitely
    Loved your running story and enthusiasm, you could have been better than Usain Bolt, who knows 🙂

As you said “It’s a shame we grow up, thus allow practicalities to get in our way!” probably if we grow up with the child mentality, we could have conquered the world, I had a difficult childhood, I don’t recall I wanted to conquer the world, at some point I wanted to be saved from this world…

As a child, each time I used to see pain, I feel bad and first I wanted to be Pediatrician so I can help sick children, then a detective, I was so impressed by these detective series and stuff…then I wanted to defend all the oppressed people and cancel injustice…Anyway I ended up studying law but didn’t become a lawyer, I worked in Human rights and then in a different field…I am who I am but I wish some days I have the fire I had once when I wanted to save the world!

I remember wanting to be a detective too! … And a nurse … And a vet! … And I’m sure I had many more dreams along the way. But like yourself, I went from one career to another, life sort of pushed me in different directions… But it would be great to have that child mind back… 🙇❤

1. huguetta says:

Yes life will surprise us so we need to cope with whatever comes, otherwise will be frustrated and desperate
        Glad to know we had some common dreams ❤️😊

3. Claudette says:

Outrunning airplanes sounds like such a fun, childlike thing to do! That made me smile. 🙂

I’m not sure what I thought, I’ll let this rattle around in my head and see if something comes up. 🙂

It was loads of fun! … Let me know if you think of anything… ❤

4. tsepotheview says:

You can overcome anything comes your way as long as you know where to get the power to which is from GOD so acknowledge the fact that you were placed on earth to rule and go out there and conquer.

Nicely said! 👍❤

5. I seriously don’t remember anything from childhood. I think there’s something wrong with me 🤭.

Oh dear! Maybe it’ll come back to you at some point… ❤

6. Liz says:

I love your childhood memory racing planes. How fun that would be.

It really was! 😄

7. Before puberty distracted me, I had a passion for biology, chemistry, and psychology, and thought I was going to be a scientist, making many original discoveries, achieving fame. The only thing that could compete with my desire to be Albert Einstein was my desire to be Leonardo Da Vinci. As a budding artist, I actually had some childhood accomplishments. First place in a few local competitions. Among my classmates, only Judy was better — a fact I somehow didn’t quite grasp at the time despite my superior intellect and immense insight.

Nowadays, my passion is for marginally improving the lives of my close friends. That’s to say, I tend my backyard garden much more than I try to tend the world. My latest ambition is to get a certain young friend to treat herself with a bit more self-compassion. That’s the sort of thing I’m into these days. Not quite as cool as making gunpowder in my eight year old’s basement chemistry lab, but it will have to do.

Improving your friends lives is still a great passion to have! … I still use my chemistry skills – only it’s used to mix ingredients for cocktails! 🍹🍸😋

1. An admirable and to emulated application of science to improving life and living, methinks.

I was flash too. Once I ran down the hills in my village so fast that I was talking to the winds and the wines said please stop before you fall down. I looked down at the 2000 feet high hills and realised as much as running fast is a superpower, you must know where to stop.😊.

Nice article though.

Yes you must know how to stop… Unless you also learn to fly! 😃

Flying no. Falling, that’s what my strength is.

9. 😄😄😄😄my child hood gift dream was that I m gonna rule my country one day as president ..and interestingly I am still in that dream till now

Good for you! Keep the dream alive… 👍

10. Your writing is so engaging! ☀️ I can imagine your spirit as a young one. 😊 I was like you. I loved speed (roller) skating. I would race my neighbors on my street and was often the winner. 😉 Thank you for taking me back to those beautiful memories.

I’m glad I could take you back to those special times… ❤

11. Love this . It’s also kinda sad. I always dreamed that I was the worlds greatest cricketer, playing in the garden. Never happened sadly.

Do you still play? I used to love cricket growing up but nowadays the boys seem to prefer football…

1. Sadly when son was born couldn’t find the time anymore. Yes football is a lot easier for kids to get into.

12. I love it ! That must have been fun running like that against a plane.?lets see I can’t think of anything that would make me think I could conquer the world but I would of loved to been a singer. I know everyone wants to be a rockstar but not so much a rockstar but to just sing . You read my post when I write singing is a stress release for me . Lol your post was fun.❤️

I bet you still sing a lot, I do! But mostly when nobody else can hear me… 😂

1. Yes I do and yes when know one here’s me lol .it feels good to sing.🙂

Yes, I just read your post… Thank you, much appreciated 💜

13. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Yeah.. this is nostalgic because innocent hearts believe in everything. I used to believe I am a good actor and I used make stories in my mind and act them out.. maybe that is the start of my creative mind 😂

Yes probably… So your dream is continued in a way through your words… ❤

1. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

True. Thank you for making me travel to the past! 😁

14. 🤗❤🙏Thank you very much for follwing my site!😍God bless you💕

No problem… ❤

15. mylilplace says:

What a relatable post. Well written.

16. Laureen says: