Slash, Cut, Stab

I recently watched a documentary focusing on the increase of crime associated with stabbings, primarily within our youths. It was horrific! I couldn’t sleep following it as my mind would not settle, the thought of my own children being caught up in such a world played over and over in my head.

So I wrote this poem…

Slash, cut, jab, stab

Inflicting a pain so severe,

No remorse shown in your eyes

An act of hate demanding fear.

Gash, pierce, puncture, thrust

Repeatedly without a thought,

Oblivious to others around

Not worrying about being caught.

Stick, injure, slice, plunge

A misguided display of being strong,

Not considering the aftermath

Not caring about doing wrong.

Sink, ram, wound, slit

Entering a place of no return,

Taking a life with no regrets

… What will it take for our youth to learn?

©2019 Poem by Baffledmum (Suki Matharu)

horror crime death psychopath
Photo by Tookapic on Pexels.com

I don’t know what it will take, I can’t answer my own question. But I know something has to change. It shouldn’t be so easy to take a life. Kids shouldn’t be carrying around weapons, be it for protection or infliction.

Bring back the innocence of our children, bring back their morals, teach them that life – Every Life – is important.

1. Very touching 🤦🤦

2. CJ Porter says:

Such an important message at the end there Suki! Well said.

I wish there was more we could do to educate these perpetrators… We need to find something to combat it, to make our world feel safer… ❤

1. CJ Porter says:

So true. I do believe that good parenting makes a difference. Unfortunately not everyone gets to benefit from that ☹

That’s true as well… 😔

3. huguetta says:

We were just talking about this subject and I can totally understand your concerns…Great poem by the way 🙂
    If we speak about the problem of refugees, we might sound racist and bigot, for an example here most crimes are committed by non-Lebanese and after the big refugees crisis we faced.
    When people from different cultures were forced to live in a place they don’t belong, they are suffering away for home, they are hungry and cold, they start to hate without reason, especially if they were mistreated…They hate everyone that is better from them without even caring how hard this person has worked for what they have!

This is in general of course, we also have many Lebanese feeling the same and committing crimes but the most important solution I found is the education, all kind of education, make it obligatory to everybody because only then we can prevent the hate and hurt education, people change when they receive education, they see things differently, they start to dream of a better future, being poor is not a reason to hate or to hurt, we were poor, we lived wars, we lost everything but I personally never even looked at what others have! How you’re raised is major! Education is major! Otherwise it’s a vicious circle and will increase day after day. There’s so much hate, so much rage, we had many stab crimes here, the survivals can describe the amount of hate with each stab…and there were many…

Thank you for this comment Huguetta. I agree with many points you have raised. I definitely think people need to be educated & to have higher aspirations for themselves to replace the jealousy. I also think it can stem from upbringing which again can link to education.
      It’s such a tough situation to handle but something seriously needs to be done.
      Knife crime is hugh in UK at the moment, we’ve even had random attacks – people getting stabbed for no reason whilst out walking… It’s scary! ☹️

1. huguetta says:

I understand, it’s always for silly reasons or without reason at all! Just hate and this is so dangerous…I can’t imagine a country like UK not doing something about it! We always look at these countries as example of order, applying laws and safety, hope they will take some serious decisions!

So do I… I’ll keep my fingers crossed & pray for better days… 🙏❤

3. huguetta says:

🙏🏻🙏🏻

4. blindzanygirl says:

Very powerful Suki. But so painful too xx

5. orkidedatter says:

So powerful, emotionell, sad and important🦋
    In every word it is something that touch me deep inside.
    You are so talented❤️
    🦋

1. orkidedatter says:

Always my pleasure🦋

6. NoblemanWarrior says:

Sad, moving, well stated.

7. ilonapulianauskaite says:

I’m trying to avoid to watch it, because after i can’t sleep as well, the crime section is growing bigger and bigger, i like the poem and i wish for the change from all my heart, but i don’t believe it will change any time soon, nobody has the right to take anybodies else life❤️I saw a while ago new in use, when the kid with gun came to school and shooter his classmates, teachers, it had huge effect on me, i was crying by watching, i don’t feel strong enough anymore to watch the new on TV.. I just can’t…

I know what you mean. I hate watching the news but I feel I need to do I can keep my boys up to date & hopefully keep them safer… Thank you for your comment… ❤

1. ilonapulianauskaite says:

You are welcome, i enjoyed my read, sometimes need to face reality even if i don’t want too..

8. ilonapulianauskaite says:

*News in use

9. I certainly agree with you. Life is important, be it any, and it should be so easy as to take away anyone’s life!!

No it shouldn’t… It’s a shame… 😞

10. ilonapulianauskaite says:

USA, so sorry for mistakes, i don’t know why corrector did automatically❤️

Lol, don’t worry, I hate auto correct as well! 😆

1. ilonapulianauskaite says:

😂getting annoying

11. Great poem. Thankfully it’s still only a small proportion. Outnumbered by so many good souls. But the damage a few can cause is awful. Probably reflects society as a whole. Too much hate and aggression badged up as politics.

Yes, way too much hate… It just seems like a daily occurrence here at the moment! Even my kids school are having random bag checks done to make due sure nobody is carrying a weapon! & they go to one of towns top schools!

12. Great poem, Suki. Unfortunately in the UK that’s an increasing concern, some consider it as epidemic at the moment. It is unbelivable the damage, the pain, the life-changing consequences that this for ridiculous reasons, nonsenses… The one top reason is ‘the dirty look’! What is that, any way?! It has to be some new concept for some fundamental new view, certainly, to be the reason for taking someone’s life! Absurd! It is really scary, no doubt about it.

Yes, the dirty look! Crazy isn’t it?! It’s really worrying at the moment, I wake every day to hear another stabbing news story… Let’s hope for a better tomorrow… 🙏

I feel like I really need to!

13. Oh I wouldn’t been able to sleep after watching that as well. That is very concerning. Like how you put it into a poem. 😥

It was horrible… 😖

1. Not easy times raising kids..😥

14. Riyyayy says:

A powerful message indeed.

If only it was heard… ❤

15. I think we live in an age of hedonism and denialism. Those two things might even go hand in hand. Maybe we would do something about these problems, but doing something would involve sacrifices we don’t want to make — hence, the hedonism. So we simply deny that the sacrifices would work, could possibly work — hence the denialism.

In America, as you know, we do it with guns. In the UK, with knives.

Here’s an interesting fact for you, According to the scientific community there is almost no doubt that violent TV and other programing increases levels of violence in a country. Especially among impressionable youth. But don’t expect to hear that in the popular media. The popular media reports such things — when they report them at all — as if there were two sides to it, as if the conclusion was still controversial, still uncertain. Denialism at work. Besides, who wants to give up a good action/adventure flick just so some crazy kids won’t get stabbed to death.

I get what your saying about media influence but media is our escape from this world… Maybe blaming media is an easy way out, maybe it’s down to education, maybe it’s down to parenting or upbringing…? Who knows? All I know is that it’s getting worse… 😔

16. Krishna says:

Touching poem dear Suki..I feel we should show kids good movies, buy them story books and games which shows love and compassion to all beings and also spend time with them listening them patiently. Through games, social media, internet, movies, etc. kids are exposed to lots of crime, drug use and unwanted stuff. Only up to certain age only, we can control what they watch, but from the very small age, if we show them and tell them moral stories, give them love and care and the freedom to talk openly with us, they themselves will be able to choose good things over toxic stuffs as they grow up.

Good points you’ve made… It has a lot to do with how children are brought up… We can only do it best for our children but that still won’t protect them against others… It’s a viscous cycle… 😔