Dreaded Feeling

Do you ever wake up with that horrible feeling of DREAD!

The feeling that something awful is going to happen. The sense of something lurking around the corner which will rare its ugly head and bring turmoil into your life…

I get this feeling often and it takes control of my life without warning, making me extra cautious about every step I take that day.

Which leads me to the question I want to look at today:

Should we live in dread as it will make us more careful about our decisions? Or will it hold us back?

I realise dread is uncontrollable and stems from anxiety or depression for some people but doesn’t that feeling also makes us slow down to evaluate how we are conducting ourselves?

Let’s take for instance, driving.

If I am full of dread, I will drive extra carefully keeping my eyes on the road at all time, watching out for other drivers and being more vigilant of  dangers that may be present.

However on days when I am full of joy without a worry in the world, I will have my music on full blast, singing at the top of my lungs and will generally ignore other drivers as I know I am a safe driver.

See the difference? Although I feel better when not loaded with dread, I’m also less alert.

adult beach black dress daylight
Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

I guess what I’m trying to establish is whether dread, which has such a negative impact, can be used as a positive. What do you think?

Does dread hold us back from living life to the fullest?

Can dread have a positive impact on our safety?

Should we allow dread to control our choices?

I know it’s a tough topic to discuss because so many of us can relate but I would love to hear your views on the subject…

1. blindzanygirl says:

I wake EVERY morning with dread Suki. But mine is roited in realities that I can do nothing about. For me, it is not a good thing. It cannot alter how I do or tackle anything. But I sure wish I didn’t have to wake with it. I would live to wake feeling at peace. It takes a while for me to shake it off, and I often deal with it by writing poems and posting them here in WirLress. And visiting other peopke’s Blogs as long as I can keep going. This morning I woke very early not feeling TOO bad. But fell back asleep, had a bad dream, a d woke again feeling TERRIBLE dread. I should have stayed awake lol. Xx

I’m sorry this is a constant for you, I deal with dread for very different reasons to you but I can understand where you are speaking from… I’m glad you have a way to handle it… ❤

2. I feel the same way when I’m driving. I think that caution can be a good thing. Your gut might be telling you something important.

& that’s where the feeling starts, in the gut before spreading throughout… Thank you for your comment… ❤

3. Claudette says:

I just went through a week of something similar, not sure if it was as strong as dread, but nevertheless it felt like the impact was the same.

A shift, a change that happened which affected me deeply and plunged me into emotional turmoil…felt dreadful.

I wrote about it privately, tried to channel the negative emotions into creativity, and it helped *somewhat* but…

It was a hard week. I did note that writing about it in my journal helped me to process things.

😉

Part of life, I guess? Finding a way to cope?

I’m sorry you’ve been having a bad time, I hope things have settled now… I definitely think writing helps as you can almost trap your thoughts on paper, or computer! … But yes, it’s a part of life we all have to get used to… ❤

4. francisashis says:

Thanks a lot for your suggestions of not to be too scary but to be cautious if necessary.

I think it’s a better dealing mechanism… 🤔

5. I really don’t know what to say, except for the fact that the ‘dread’ that you talk about creeks and gnaws at me more often that I would want to. And juts like you, it plays a dominant role in my life that day. But then the other days are just normal, happy positive days. I guess for me it’s more like anxiety and I juts can’t help it!! Sometimes it controls me the other times, I control it!

That’s how it is… It almost plays games with us, tricking us into having good days then hitting us with dread again for no apparent reason… Thank you for connecting… 👍❤

6. orkidedatter says:

If I am allowed to send a hug over to you then I do, and I greatly appreciate these words that I knew in my heart❤️Thank you for sharing Suki🦋

Thank you for the hug, kindly accepted… ❤

7. huguetta says:

Actually at certain level, it’s good, it makes us attentive and aware of everything around us like in driving, I can relate, most of the times I’m all eyes and ears and I’m suspecting each and every move…
    But if the dread controlled us, we’ll not be able to live normally and happily…We just need to take all the precautions needed and leave the rest, we can’t control everything. i.e. if the weather is great and sunny, why forbid your son from being at the balcony, even if it might started to rain suddenly he’ll simply run inside. But when you close the doors, shout at him, and forbid him to go out while the sun is perfect means the dread feeling is not controllable
    Hope the example was related and my answer helped 🙂

Yes, understandably we can’t allow dread to stop us or others around us from living… We can apply caution and the rest we just have to hope for the best… Thank you for your input ❤

1. huguetta says:

My pleasure 🙂 hope things will get better always ❤️

8. ezee shad says:

I have made peace with the fact that am naturally a very cautious person, i think i worry alittle bit more, play by the rules and play it safe (sounds boring, i know 😂) but i know how to have fun responsibly.

Sounds like a wise way to live… 👍

9. Are you reading my mind?!
    It has been one of those days for me, and I was reading this post during the break of an amazing life story documentary about Sebastien Bellin, one of the victims from Brussels terrorist attack and how he dealt with things… Amazing the coincidence of coming across both at same time! Really going post Suki!💟😘

It really is… I hope you have a better day tomorrow… & the day after… ❤

10. I understand the topic. Dread is useful at times, as you said it has a positive impact on us when we are more alert. And by giving the example of driving you established your point very well. But dread shouldn’t control our lives because then we will really forget how to live always thinking about the worst that could happen and prevent from taking all risks and listen to our mind more.. when listening to your heart once in a while is okay. I listen to my mind more, but I would like to be happy and not be extra alert some days😊

I completely understand… It would be easier to live without the dread following us around, it would make us a lot happier too… ❤

11. Oh my … I’ve been feeling this dread feeling all day and can’t figure why.. it defiantly puts me in a negative mood. 😥

12. I’ve become incredibly cautious these days. Great post got me thinking, which is a major achievement today.

13. Krishna says:

While I was working from office, some days I woke up in morning dreadful thinking of meeting target, QA scores etc. At that time, even though it gave me alertness and meeting targets and appreciation, I didn’t like that dreadful feeling and cold sweat I feel. Later, I realised through yoga and mindfulness, I could stay alert and more productive with a light heart and focusing on present moment. Taking one step at a time, I overcame the dreadful feeling. I think, this can be helpful to you too. Take care dear 😊 blessed day ahead 🌼💐

14. mothertherealist says:

I agree with you and other commenters on here. I think, though, you sound more positive when it’s ‘caution’ and not ‘dread’ keeping you alert. 🙂

That is true… ❤

15. Susi Bocks says:

Yes, and I wrote about it a couple of days after this post! 🙂 https://iwriteher.com/2019/04/13/dire/ Un-happy reading?

16. Jonathan says:

I tend to think a lot of people live in dread – just different levels. Some people are able to defeat it more easily than others too.

That’s true, it is different for us all… ❤

17. cannardblogs says:

I feel this is me through and through wake up most days dreading certain things in life and it sucks but there are days where I’m going about my day and i feel amazing and i would love it to stay that way.

That’s my emotions exactly… It’s a difficult one to understand and manage but I do hope you have coping methods to help you through the bad days… ❤💕

1. cannardblogs says:

I do have a few methods and they also link to my anxiety and that’s to either do some photography and think that everything will be okay or talk to some friends and if they ask how I’m doing I’m happy because i know my friends still love me

Friends are always great help, I’m glad you’ve got support… 👍❤

3. cannardblogs says:

Honestly another thing that helps me are your posts because i can relate with so much you talk about and it’s nice knowing that I’m not the only one and we can all do it together

That’s so lovely to hear. You are right, we all need to support each other ❤